HAMPTON,GA - JoJo Helberg took advantage of lapped traffic to pass Brian Gingras with three laps remaining to capture the win the Tim Smith's CLIMAX Moonshine Sprint Car Shootout Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
"I knew if I closed the door, I had a really good car, especially in traffic with all the lapped cars," said Helberg about the late-race pass. "I think I muscled through traffic better than (Gingras) did. To race at a place like Atlanta Motor Speedway during Cup weekend is amazing."
Gingras finished second in the winged sprint car debut at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Official Results (Name, Hometown)
1. JoJo Helberg Santa Rosa, Calif.
2. Brian Gingras Lakeland, Fla.
3. Derek Hagar Marion, Ark.
4. Michael Miller Ocean Springs, Miss.
5. Troy DeCaire Wesley Chapel, Fla.
6. Terry Gray Bartlett, Tenn.
7. Morgan Turpen Cordova, Tenn.
8. Todd Fayard Saucier, Miss.
9. Garrett Green Valrico, Fla.
10. Anthony Nicholson Bartlett, Tenn.
11. Tom Paterson Argos, Ind.
12. Jake McClain Indian Trail, N.C.
13. Francis Crowder Panama City, Fla.
14. Jeff Willingham Ripley, Miss.
15. Jim Blenkarn Murfreesboro, Tenn.
16. Lance Moss Cheryville, N.C.
17. Ray Bugg Iuka, Miss.
18. Lee Moore Tuscaloosa, Ala.
19. Joe Larkin Suwanee, Ga.